Tuesday, August 16, 2011

How to make Perry the Platypus Cakes for a Disney Phineas and Ferb Party!



How to make Perry the Platypus Cakes for a Disney Phineas and Ferb Party!

On August 5th, we were fortunate enough to be selected to host a Phineas and Ferb Across the 2d Dimension movie party by Child's Play Party!

For the party, I came across a way to make some cute Perry the Platypus cakes. These are adorable! I received several wonderful comments and even more recipe requests!

For all those interested...here is the way the I made the Perry cakes. I will include how to make a large Perry cake and the modified Twinkie Perry cakes that I made.

Cake recipe...
http://dabbled.org/2010/06/perry-the-platypus-cake-tutorial-the-prep-work.html

This is part 2 of the cake recipe...
http://dabbled.org/2010/06/perry-the-platypus-cake-part-2-assembly.html

Adapted for Twinkies...
http://dabbled.org/2010/07/perry-the-platypus-mini-cakes-made-from-twinkies.html

Fondant recipe is here...Youtube step by step video...part 1...make sure you add 3 tablespoons of water and 2 of vanilla for great taste!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yj4KGtBaDg

Second part of fondant video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHbpquC3IEA&feature=related

These were very easy to make...I do not consider myself good at this type of thing, so I was pleased with the end result...for coloring...divide the white fondant after you've made it...put in mixer with teal dye (I used gel) and then do the orange...let rest on counter for about 1/2 - 2 hours....instead of making my own creme cheese icing...I cheated and used store bought! So...

1. make fondant
2. color fondant
3. let fondant rest
4. lightly cream cheese icing the twinkies
5. roll out teal fondant and cover twinkie
6. make arms, legs, feet, beak and tail and attach
7. add eyes...I use store bought from AC Moore
* Don't forget the hair...I used Tootsie rolls for this!

P.S. I did mine on parchment paper so the Twinkie bottom wouldn't stick to the plates...hope this helps... let me know if you need anything else!

Also...if you are adding water and vanilla for fondant (which you really should for a better taste)...you will need a little more than 2 lbs of sifted flour...it will be wetter so you will need an extra couple of cups to get the right, non-sticky consistency!

My son thought that I should have made fondant hats off to the side so that Perry could double as Agent P!

Hope this helps! Again, let me know if you need anything else! Enjoy!

No comments: